Are you currently experiencing unpleasant vaginal odor? If so, it could mean that there is an excess of yeast or bacteria giving rise to vaginal odor. Medically this is known as Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) or vaginal yeast infection. Vaginal odor can sometimes be embarrassing, although it shouldn’t be.
According to the American College of Gynecology and Obstetrics, feminine odor changes throughout the normal menstrual cycle of a woman. Just like with feet and breath, the vagina has odor due to the presence of bacteria.
Nevertheless, this can become abnormal and you could have a metallic or musty odor, or even a fishy smell which may be due to odor causing foods that you eat frequently, or certain hormonal causes along with excessive bacterial growth, as well as sexually transmitted diseases for which you will need to seek treatment.
Home remedies to treat vaginal odor
Accompanied by white or yellow discharge, itching, burning or irritation, vaginal odor may indicate a vaginal infection. If the vaginal odor, on the other hand, doesn’t indicate anything serious, it is possible to apply certain home remedies to get rid of that unpleasant smell.
Apple cider vinegar for vaginal odor
Apple cider vinegary is an ingredient that has been widely studied for its health benefits. Many studies have found that apple cider vinegar is useful for treating vaginal infections, including vaginal odor.
Apple cider vinegar has antifungal and antimicrobial properties that are responsible for its healing nature. In addition, apple cider vinegar balances pH levels effectively and this is one reason you can use apple cider vinegar to get rid of your vaginal odor.
What you need:
- 3 cups of organic apple cider vinegar
- Enough warm water for a shallow bath
- Fill your bathtub with warm water.
- Add the apple cider vinegar to the water.
- Sit in the bathwater for 20-30 minutes.
- If you suffer from unpleasant vaginal odor, you can apply this remedy 4-5 times a week, otherwise do it just once or twice per week.
Other ways to use apple cider vinegar for vaginal odor
If you don’t want to use vinegar in this way, it is possible to use it in other ways.
- Dilute a little apple cider vinegar in water and rinse your vagina with this diluted solution.
- Submerge a tampon in a dilute solution of apple cider vinegar and insert it in your vagina and keep it there for 30-60 minutes.
- Mix 1 ounce of vinegar with 8 ounces of water and drink this mixture daily to balance the pH levels of your body. This prevents excessive growth of bacteria in your body, including the vagina.
Remedies with garlic for vaginal odor
Garlic is a well-known naturally antibacterial spice. Using garlic can help you get rid of the bad bacteria that cause vaginal odor. The strong antifungal properties of garlic also help to eliminate a large number of fungus that cause yeast infections, leading to vaginal odor.
How to use garlic for vaginal odor
- Eat 1-2 cloves of raw garlic cut into small pieces with a glass of warm water in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Insert a peeled small or medium clove of garlic into the vagina and let sit for a few hours. Wash or take a bath after removing the garlic clove. Do this one or two times a week to get rid of vaginal odor.
- Include garlic in dishes such as salads and sauces.
- Smash a few cloves of garlic to form a paste. Apply this garlic paste in the vagina and let sit for 10 minutes. Wash or take a bath afterwards.
Yogurt – natural remedy for vaginal odor
With all of its health benefits, yogurt can also help you get rid of vaginal odor. Yogurt is naturally rich in lactobacillus, healthy bacteria that don’t just keep your stomach free from infections, but also reduce fungal infections in the vagina. Lactobacillus also help restore normal pH levels in the vagina, killing vaginal odor.
This is why you should eat homemade natural yogurt without sugar every day, up to two cups a day. You can also use yogurt in other ways to get rid of vaginal odor.
Eat yogurt daily
This is the best way to use yogurt not just to eliminate vaginal odor, but also for your health in general. Just be careful to eat organic yogurt, without added flavor or sugar. Sweetened yogurt can make your problems worse since the bacteria eat the sugar. It’s best to eat plain yogurt. If you are going to buy probiotic yogurt, check that it contains lactobacillus, because these are the healthy bacteria in yogurt that will help you banish vaginal odor. Eat at least 2 cups of yogurt every day.
Apply yogurt to the vagina
What you need:
- ¼ – ½ cup of yogurt
- Cotton ball
- Put the yogurt in a cup or bowl.
- Submerge the cotton ball in the yogurt and let soak thoroughly.
- Now take the cotton ball with yogurt.
- Apply the yogurt to the vagina.
- Let sit for a while, wash with water and dry.
- Repeat this three or four times per day.
Alternatively, you can soak a tampon in plain yogurt and insert it in the vagina. Leave it in for a while before removing. Then wash with running water.
Warning: If you are allergic to dairy products, avoid eating or using yogurt to treat vaginal odor.